vb0727

Registered Member

Lead

Nov 15 10 7:39 AM

Tags : :

Just curious to know what clubs or teams will remain with GLPL or switch over to the new Windy City Power League run by the Great Lakes Region.????

Quote    Reply   

VB ALL 1

Registered Member

#1 [url]

Nov 16 10 10:57 AM

Re: Windy City Power League or Great Lakes Power League

My gut feeling is that the bottom half  to 2/3's will stay with USAV and go with GLR's Windy City PL (Especially since an American bid goes to the champion). The top teams and any other JVA only clubs will continue to go to GLPL. Either SPVB will have to raise their club dues or find another sponsor to make up for losing those bottom feeder teams.

All those middle of the road teams that used to languish in the bottom half now have their carrot in front to pursue. Yes, the WCPL will be the younger weaker sister of GLPL for quite a few years.

I can also see the JVA clubs having their tryouts without regard for the IHSA season and that those players will start bypassing their HS programs to practice with their clubs instead like gymnastics and soccer. Which would you rather play for? Your HS program for the school social prestige? Or, your club program to get that DI $$$$ schollie?

I can see all Fusion and Powerhouse teams staying with GLPL, while 1st Alliance/Lions, Celtic Force, and Sky High will still send their top teams to GLPL and the rest to WCPL.

I am not affiliated with any of the above clubs and my club is planning on send our top teams to GLPLand the rest to WCPL.

Last Edited By: VB ALL 1 Nov 23 10 11:03 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

The Antagonist

Registered Member

#2 [url]

Nov 16 10 11:03 AM

Is it true that Joe Jablonski, fired from Sports Performance and now working down in Texas, will run the Windy City PL from the Lone Star State?

Quote    Reply   

Ukie1

Registered Member

#6 [url]

Nov 18 10 1:27 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's all about the Money. Top tier clubs will move if they get a cut, either through rental of their facilities or administration skills.

It will be the known as The Powerless League. Divide and conquer I believe is the strategy. Absolutely no interest in the integrity or development of the girls. Glad mine are done.

Quote    Reply   

Ukie1

Registered Member

#7 [url]

Nov 22 10 2:30 PM

Is the Usva taking a bid from the regional qualifier tournament and transfering it to the winner of this power league?

Quote    Reply   

VB ALL 1

Registered Member

#8 [url]

Nov 22 10 5:31 PM

I don't know if Joe was fired from SPVB, but he seems like a nice guy.

The WCPL will be hosted by a number of clubs with facilities. I don't know all the clubs, but I heard that Adversity, Celtic Force, Energy, Sky High, and Sunsetters are some of them. Not all the clubs will be able to host due to pre-existing other events on those dates.

College coaches will go wherever their recruits are. Most DI coaches will still be at GLPL because they are watching their committed players. Coaches will still attend WCPL because they don't want to miss out on any possible talent that are playing in the lower tier clubs.

AFAIK, GLR (USAV) is taking an American bid from the regional qualifier and giving it to the power league winner. I would assume that the winner can still play for the National bid in the regional qualifier.

Last Edited By: VB ALL 1 Nov 23 10 5:29 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

skipper

Registered Member

#9 [url]

Nov 22 10 10:33 PM

WCPL

Is it just me or does VB All 1 sound a bit arrogant.  Including Sky High as a 2nd rate club is pretty insulting.  Not from that area but that elitism wouldn't fly in our neck of the woods

Quote    Reply   

VB ALL 1

Registered Member

#10 [url]

Nov 23 10 5:28 AM

Re: WCPL

Not sure how you perceived my post as Sky High being a 2nd tier club. That is far from the truth of Sky High being a top level club in the Chicago area. If you think that Sky High is a 2nd rate club, then you are also insuting Celtic Force and 1st Alliance/Lions.

If you are trying to be a troublemaker, we don't take kindly to outsiders stirring up trouble where there is none. Go troll elsewhere.

BTW, I coach for (what I think is) a wannabee 2nd tier club. I've been coaching jrs for over 20 yrs in this Region and have been asked by Sky High and SPVB to coach for them in the past. I chose not to coach for either club due to living 40+ miles away and not wanting to make the rush hour commute (2+ hrs) to practice.

Last Edited By: VB ALL 1 Nov 23 10 5:41 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

gasgrill9

Registered Member

#12 [url]

Nov 23 10 9:09 AM

Sapere Aude wrote:
I'll 2nd VB ALL 1...don't see anything close to insinuating Sky High is a 2nd rate club.
If you read the first post VB ALL 1 does insinuate that Sky High is not a "Top Team"...

VB ALL 1 starts with

"the bottom half  to 2/3's will stay with USAV and go with GLR's Windy City PL.... The top teams and any other JVA only clubs will continue to go to GLPL."

and then says

"... 1st Alliance/Lions, Celtic Force, Sky High will still send their top teams and the rest to WCPL."

Quote    Reply   

groupguy

Registered Member

#13 [url]

Nov 23 10 9:10 AM

So does this mean that Sky High 18s won't be back to GLPL this season?  That would be too bad, didn't they finish first or second last year?

Quote    Reply   

Sapere Aude

Registered Member

#14 [url]

Nov 23 10 10:27 AM

gasgrill9 wrote:
Sapere Aude wrote:
I'll 2nd VB ALL 1...don't see anything close to insinuating Sky High is a 2nd rate club.
If you read the first post VB ALL 1 does insinuate that Sky High is not a "Top Team"...

VB ALL 1 starts with

"the bottom half  to 2/3's will stay with USAV and go with GLR's Windy City PL.... The top teams and any other JVA only clubs will continue to go to GLPL."

and then says

"... 1st Alliance/Lions, Celtic Force, Sky High will still send their top teams and the rest to WCPL."

I think you need to read it again and include the rest of the 2nd quote. 

"I can see Fusion and Powerhouse staying with GLPL, while 1st Alliance/Lions, Celtic Force, Sky High will still send their top teams and the rest to WCPL. "

It's not worded the best, but I believe he's saying that he thinks those clubs will send their top teams to GLPL, and send their lower teams to WCPL.

Quote    Reply   

Ukie1

Registered Member

#16 [url]

Nov 23 10 10:59 AM

There you go, vb0727 must have the inside scoop. SH's top teams sticking with the original power league and the others going to the recreational league to compete for an American bid. It should be good for most except for any competitive teams that make the mistake of joining the powerless league. They will have no competition.

Quote    Reply   

VB ALL 1

Registered Member

#17 [url]

Nov 23 10 11:08 AM

vb0727 wrote:
Top teams from Sky High will stay at GLPL. Where the 2's and 3's go ?????????

All other SH teams are heading to WCPL.

Quote    Reply   

VB ALL 1

Registered Member

#18 [url]

Nov 23 10 11:11 AM

Sapere Aude wrote:
gasgrill9 wrote:
Sapere Aude wrote:

VB ALL 1 starts with

and then says

I think you need to read it again and include the rest of the 2nd quote. 

"I can see Fusion and Powerhouse staying with GLPL, while 1st Alliance/Lions, Celtic Force, Sky High will still send their top teams and the rest to WCPL. "

It's not worded the best, but I believe he's saying that he thinks those clubs will send their top teams to GLPL, and send their lower teams to WCPL.

Thanks, Sapere!

I've re-worded my original post to clearly express my opinion that Sky High is NOT a 2nd tier club.

Quote    Reply   

groupguy

Registered Member

#19 [url]

Nov 23 10 3:51 PM

So there will be good and bad with this, I guess.

I'd guess travel/scheduling may be better for some teams, an American bid is a nice reward, competition between the leagues should mean improvement in service, there will be perhaps fewer matches between certain clubs (although the goal of power league is to match evenly matched teams so that tends to happen) and thus "interleague" play at regional tournaments may be more special.

Downsides- I can imagine a few 2s teams will be aggravated to have fewer chances to surprise some 1s teams, USAV might see this as a successful blow to JVA and be enboldened to keep the dreaded Stay to Play, economies of scale in reverse could lead to higher costs or lower profit margins, and a few other leagues may go belly up- my oldest daughter played in what was called the "Midwest League" in North Aurora a few years ago, is that even around any more?

Quote    Reply   

VB ALL 1

Registered Member

#20 [url]

Mar 13 12 5:36 AM

Midwest League is still around for those teams who choose not to play in any PL or want another tourney to play in. I believe that the winner of that league gets an automatic entry into the Asics Junior National Championships at Navy Pier in June.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help