VBJunky

Registered Member

#81 [url]

Jan 26 10 8:11 PM

Locking out the unwanted and building empires...

ntvbwtchr wrote:
VBEye - what is your issue with the tour?  I've seen you post disparaging comments but nothing specific.  I watched many of the matches on both Saturday and Sunday - what would you do different?  I'm just wondering, since the play on Sunday in the gold bracket was so competitive in all of the 15-18 age groups.
ntvb, read THIS thread plus the other thread embedded in that one for your answer and history.  

Quote    Reply   

VBEye

Registered Member

#83 [url]

Jan 27 10 5:49 AM

Hoping hope the brain can reason with what Eye see

Eye didn't leyeke the old set up with its 1st weekend in January Qualifeyer date.   Did little else, but make the season more lengthy.  Kids had to concentrate on vball during the Christmas beak and then other club directors started setting up events in early December - all so teams could get ready for that all too important Tour Qualifieyer. Eye "complained" and was told nothing could be done about the early start date. 

This got compounded by the Lone Star Region's lack of deseyere to hold the leyene on early treyeouts.  Lone Star Region clubs started to hold treyeouts in July & August (ie: lunacy), began practicing in November, began tournament play in December and then went to the almeyeghty Tour Qualifier immediately after the New Year's holiday.  Makes for way too long a season, not enough break in between HS & Club and placed way too much emphasis on the wrong part of the club season. 

NTRegion won't go for the early treyeouts and TAV never would go for starting practice until January (a very good thing).  With the exception of Arthur's team, TAV never sent teams to to the Tour.  The only problem was they were missing competition for their top teams.  They would start the "regular" season in late Jan., preyemarily decimate the opposition and not face most of the other top TX teams because of their lack of a Tour exposure.  Eye am sure they were thinking there were better ways to proveyede competition preyeor to competing in the Q's.  

Solution - propose your own power league set up (remember that?) and offer to compete directly w/the Tour.  You could lump the best teams from three age groups all together and make sure your top teams were served with a dish of sufficient competition.

So the bargaining began - the result, move back the qualifeyer (hurray!) and give out 16 exemptions (ugly) to the top two brackets based on perfomance from the previous season.  The rest could play out for the last eight spots.  For the most part, it's no longer a true qualifeyer were you have to win during the event to be included in the latter stages.  It does proveyede the top teams with near par level competition at the onset of the club season. 

These 16 exemptions were a true stroke of genius.  With the current Tour set up, talent will matriculate faster to the larger clubs.  If you thought there was a gap between the upper echelon and the rest of you people (ie: the vast majority of club vball participants in TX), please realeyeze this gap will grow even weyeder.  It's not necessarily such a bad thing - it just is what is is.   

Green - a reference to envy Eye am supposing.  If Eye was still involved directly with club ball, I would emphatically say, "Heck yeah!", but would deal with it.  Eye am simply watching from the seyedeleyene.  Keyenda hard to be envious without a dog in the hunt.       

Quote    Reply   

ntvbwtchr

Registered Member

#84 [url]

Jan 27 10 5:36 PM

Thank you Eye & Junky - I am certainly not trying to flame here, just understand the underleyeing issues. (Sorry, couldn't resist) As a newbie to the Tour but not to Open teams I did not know the past issues. I do not agree with the talent dilution argument, however. From what I have seen in my going into 4th year of club with 1st daughter, the top clubs already have most of the talent from about 13-14 up. For example, in NT Region you can look at Skyline and TAV and find them at the top of almost every ranking. Other clubs have very comptetitive teams, Premier 17, Mad Frog 14, etc. just not the across the board consistency. I don't see how a new "Tour" changes this with only 3 stops. Maybe I am missing something, and I am open to the other viewpoints I read in the threads - thanks Junky. Is the talent going to the "Top" clubs because of name recognition, past performance, coaching, expectations? My dd did. My .02, and that's about all I have left after last weeks tour in SA.

Quote    Reply   

jj2326

Registered Member

#86 [url]

Jan 29 10 12:30 PM

Help!!

Can anyone out there please help me decipher the tour grid for the next 2 stops?  It is on the TAV website.  I understand the crossover part, but I can not figure out who we are playing.  It looks like it is only 3 matches, and challenge if you are at the bottom of D1.  You only play your pool and that's it or, is there no pool play? Thanks in advance.

Quote    Reply   

GarrettBlack

Registered Member

#87 [url]

Jan 29 10 2:54 PM

No pools just bracket play. When looking at the grid, the match codes are as follows, Age/Division/Round of Bracket so 5D1Q3 is 15s Division 1 Quarterfinal 3, 5D1CS2 = 15s Division 1 Consolation Semifinals 2

Quote    Reply   

jj2326

Registered Member

#88 [url]

Jan 29 10 3:29 PM

GB:  So the entire D1 field reseeds after bracket play?  Then the bottom two crossover with D2's top two seeds? 

Quote    Reply   

GarrettBlack

Registered Member

#89 [url]

Jan 29 10 4:53 PM

Correct. D1 and D2 will play out the bracket so each team will get a place from 1-8 and 9-24. The 7th place team from D1 will play 2nd place(10th overall) from D2 and 8th place from D1 plays 1st from D2(9th overall).

Quote    Reply   

digtosmash

Registered Member

#91 [url]

Jan 31 10 7:43 PM

how's it work?

But if the bracket is for teams from 9-24, that would be a 16 team bracket and it would take 4 matches to find out who is first and second, so do those two teams play 5 matches that day? The 7th and 8th place in Bracket one would play 3 and then wait for several hours before playing their fourth?

And in Division 2, how are they going to seed it? Are the teams from the silver bracket 9 through 16 and then they are seeded against the new teams in based on the set/point percentage against the teams that they played?

Quote    Reply   

slappy

Registered Member

#93 [url]

Jan 31 10 9:29 PM

Brutal! I went undefeated for 2 days at tot qualifier and my last match of day 2 was do or die for qualification. 1vs2 seed. I'm up 12-10 game 3 when we released 5 hitting errors in a row and fell short. Nerves of 14 year old girls. Same situation for me in 14's at last years qualifier. Only loss was in 3 to Austin last match of day 2 which put me in d2, NOT eliminated, where I went on to meet Austin in the finals of the whole shebang. Working our way up each stop to ultimately finish 2nd was better than qualifying for nationals to me. Now my team from last year split, received an automatic bid this year, and is now struggling to compete. Talk about SALTY! How do they honestly believe this is the best way to get the best vs best? Okay I'm done venting. My real question. Any ideas on competitive tournaments in or out of state to cover these missed dates?

Quote    Reply   

GarrettBlack

Registered Member

#94 [url]

Feb 1 10 11:00 AM

Mustang Mom: Check page 8 of this thread. I posted the brackets for Dallas.

Digtosmash: The way you described it is correct. The D2 teams will have to go 3-0 to reach the finals. They will then play the finals. The winner gets the last place team from D1 and the loser gets the 7th place team from D1.
They will seed D2 the following way: 9-16 based on San Antonio D1 brackets. 17-24 based on Qualifier match%, game % and the point %. I seeded the teams using this method for my bracket on page 8.

The crossover could be interesting:
1. 8th in D1 vs. 1st in D2 - one team lost all day and the other won all day.
2. 7th in D1 vs. 2nd in D2 - one team went 0-2 but won their last match and the other won 3 in a row but then lost their last match.

Quote    Reply   

Owl60

Registered Member

#96 [url]

Feb 21 10 2:43 PM

TOT - Dallas 15 Open

Recap of 15 Open Divison 1....TAV's Black and Blue teams played well, finishing 1st and 2nd.   However, tough day for Skyline getting upset by TRV and the Tornados.   TRV had a nice tournament finishing 3rd overall.  They lost a very close 3rd set to TAV VB Blue in the semi-finals.

The first round started with TRV Elite upsetting Skyline RoShamBo 2-0 (25-19, 25-22) and TAV VB Rags Blue coming from behind to win in 3 against upset minded Dallas Premier.   After losing the 1st set 25-17, TAV Blue got on a roll midway through a close 2nd set to win 25-17.  In the 3rd set, Premier led 8-4 and 10-6, before TAV Blue caught fire with a couple of late kills by OH Kacy Guajardo; to take the lead and win the set 15-11 and match 2-1.   TAV VB Rags Black downed Asics Willowbrook from Houston 2-0 (25-22, 25-18).   Willowbrook played really well (looked much better than they had in San Antonio) and held a big lead in the first set before TAV Black went on a 13-2 run to take the lead and win the set.   Austin Juniors Mizuno bested the Texas Tornados 2-0 in two very close sets. 

In the semifinals, TAV VB Rags Black faced Austin Juniors (AJV).   These two had played a very close and emotional 3 set match in San Antonio, so there was a lot of anticipation about the rematch.   However, today it was not to be as competitive, as TAV Black controlled the game from the outset, took advantage of the height differential, and cruised to victory 2-0 (25-15, 25-19) over AJV.   The other semi-final however, was a great battle, with TAV VB Rags Blue finishing victorious over TRV Elite 2-1 (25-27, 25-22, 16-14).   

In the consolation bracket battle for 5th place, Skyline RoShambo and the Texas Tornados squared off.   Skyline won the first set 25-21 and looked like they were going to win the 2nd set, but the Tornados refused to be put away and pulled out a 29-27 victory.   The 3rd set was surprisingly all the Tornados, as they won 15-2 to win the match.  Skyline seemed to be a slightly better team, but losing that 2nd set, after being in control at the end of the set, seemed to take the fight/focus out of them in the 3rd set.   

TAV Black faced TAV Blue in the tournament finals, with TAV Black prevailing in the match 2-0 (25-22, 25-15).   This win marks TAV Black’s 4th straight tournament championship and puts their season record at 25-1.

It was a strong day for both TAV teams.   TAV Black had a reasonably consistent day with some strong serving and pretty consistent passing translating into good sets and big kills.   This was also Black's best blocking of the season, as they controlled the net throughout most sets.   TAV Blue showed their toughness in coming from behind a couple of times to win 3 set matches against quality opponents who were playing well.   Their 2nd set against TAV Black in the championship was a disappointing end for Blue, but points to the consistency and mental toughness they still need to achieve to reach the potential this team has.  

Tour of Texas – Stop #2, Dallas - D1 Standings:

1. TAV VB Rags Black
  2. TAV VB Rags Blue
  3. TRV Elite
  4. Austin Juniors Mizuno
  5. Texas Tornados Mizuno
  6. Skyline RoShamBo
  7. Dallas Premier Mizuno *
  8. Asics Willowbrook *

In the Division 1 and 2 challenge matches, D1 Dallas Premier lost to  D2 #2 ranked Alamo Kaepa in two, while Willowbrook defeated D2 #1 ranked SVA in 3 sets.   That means that Willowbrook will remain in Division 1 for the next Tour stop, but Premier falls to Dvision 2; being replaced in Division 1 by Alamo Kaepa.   The next stop on the Tour of Texas will be March 13th in Houston.

Quote    Reply   

GarrettBlack

Registered Member

#97 [url]

Feb 22 10 8:59 AM

A little analysis of the Tour format and results.

1. All but one #1 seed coming out of San Antonio won the Dallas Tour stop(Dallas Skyline won the 18s division as the overall 2 seed.)

2. The Division 1 finals featured 1vs2 in 3 finals and 1v3 in the other 3.

3. Of the 12 teams to play in the crossover matches to move up from D2 to D1 only 5 were qualifier teams.

4. Only 3 qualified teams will be playing in Division 1 in Houston (Southwest 13 Asics, Premier 14 Mizuno and Bexar 171). Meaning the other 45 were automatically qualified going into San Antonio.

5. In the crossovers, a team moved up from D1 to D2 in the 13s, 14s, 15s and 17s. In the 13s and 17s, it was as predicted with the D1 team being 0-3 and D2 team being 4-0. But in the 14s and 15s, it was the opposite with D1 team coming off a win and D2 team coming off a loss. The expectation would be the D1 team wins but somehow the D2 team pulled off the upset to move up.

Quote    Reply   

jj2326

Registered Member

#98 [url]

Mar 8 10 7:35 AM

Does anyone know when they are going to post the schedule for the final stop of the tour?
I'd like to know the playing times etc....  Thanks

Quote    Reply   

AWOL

Registered Member

#99 [url]

Mar 8 10 10:40 AM

Found on the Houston Juniors site

Tour of Texas Power League Stop 2

The Tour of Texas Power League Stop 2 will also be in the George R. Brown Convention Center during Cross Court Classic weekend.

Tour info: 15s-13s first matches start Sat 8am, 16s -18s – first matches start Sat 6:15pm

Please visit the Playing Sites section of this page for GRB parking info.

The GRB Court Layout and a link to the schedule in Advanced Event Systems can be found in the Schedule/Results section.

Quote    Reply   

tmpdgp

Registered Member

#100 [url]

Mar 8 10 1:07 PM

ToT Grid

Look on the TAV website, under the Tour of Texas link for the grid.  If you know your teams finish in the Dallas stop, you can get an idea of the match timing.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help