New to volleyball

Registered Member

Lead

Nov 16 09 1:24 PM

Tags : :

I am not "New to volleyball" any more, but am continuously surprised at how much it costs to play club (I am in the greater Chicago area). My husband and I figured out it'll be almost $6,000 before we're done with 2010. I know there are cheaper alternatives out there, but none that will give our DD the exposure she needs. What's a family to do besides dip into the home equity loan?
Quote    Reply   

Loophole

Registered Member

#1 [url]

Nov 16 09 1:44 PM

With all due respect, $6,000 sounds like a bargain. The fees for my daughter's club team are $4,000. That doesn't include travel, food, incidentals, to 10 tournaments (3 out of state requiring air travel; 5 in-state with a 3-4 hour drive; 2 in-town), plus the expenses of an accompanying parent.

Quote    Reply   

VBDad0927

Registered Member

#2 [url]

Nov 16 09 2:06 PM

Hey Loophole....

Loophole wrote:
With all due respect, $6,000 sounds like a bargain. The fees for my daughter's club team are $4,000. That doesn't include travel, food, incidentals, to 10 tournaments (3 out of state requiring air travel; 5 in-state with a 3-4 hour drive; 2 in-town), plus the expenses of an accompanying parent.
Time to find a different club! I know of at least one MAJOR club in the area where fees are less then half what you are paying. No mandatory concession or fundraising either. Exposure must be good as every one of their 18's (last years teams) is playing in college. Take a look around and you can still find a bargain.

Quote    Reply   

skipper

Registered Member

#3 [url]

Nov 16 09 6:12 PM

Cheaper Allternative

Our major USAV club also had 100% of 18's in college with scholarships or grants. Cost is $2,000 for club fees, 2 qualifiers in driving distance and total of $800 in tournament entry fees. Granted club is expensive, but there are alternatives that still have very good coaches. If your dd is talented enough, the coaches will find her and that club can help get her name out there too.

Quote    Reply   

Loophole

Registered Member

#4 [url]

Nov 16 09 7:39 PM

VBDad0927 wrote:
Loophole wrote:
Time to find a different club! I know of at least one MAJOR club in the area where fees are less then half what you are paying. No mandatory concession or fundraising either. Exposure must be good as every one of their 18's (last years teams) is playing in college. Take a look around and you can still find a bargain.

Unfortunately, the fees we pay are in line with the fees paid by all clubs in our area.

Quote    Reply   

DadinCal

Registered Member

#7 [url]

Nov 17 09 7:42 AM

VBEye wrote:
Because there are plenty who are willing to pay for it.

Down the line for a winner!.....

While there are a lot of clubs that do it for the right reasons there are also clubs out there who have no problem taking those parents money knowing that when it comes to their kids that some parents will pay whatever it takes.

Quote    Reply   

Sapere Aude

Registered Member

#8 [url]

Nov 17 09 8:14 AM

It's a business...a lot of the fluctuation goes to facilities...coaches & other staff...travel...tournament entry costs...equipment...etc.

When you factor in all the variables, most clubs will have reasonable cost break downs. (of course there are some that try to turn more of a profit than others)

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help