avatar

BigPurce

Registered Member

Posts: 495 Member Since:02/11/10

#11001 [url]

Jan 26 12 4:24 PM

Mizzz

opksvball wrote:
Hats off and congratulations to both of these area players
for being named among the 50 finalists for National Player
of the Year.

JT included a nice paragraph on each player in his write-up.

Paige Brown, 5-7 S, St. James   

Shelby Workman, 6-0 RS, Bishop Miege
You Kansas people.  Living in your own world.  Let's not leave out  Megan McGehee 6-3 MB, Lee’s Summit West (Lee’s Summit, Missouri) also in the top 50.

Congrats to all three.  

Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas, sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches.  - Josey Wales

Quote    Reply   
avatar

new2kcvball

Registered Member

Posts: 826 Member Since:10/01/10

#11002 [url]

Jan 26 12 4:40 PM

BigPurce wrote:
opksvball wrote:
Hats off and congratulations to both of these area players
for being named among the 50 finalists for National Player
of the Year.

JT included a nice paragraph on each player in his write-up.

Paige Brown, 5-7 S, St. James   

Shelby Workman, 6-0 RS, Bishop Miege
You Kansas people.  Living in your own world.  Let's not leave out  Megan McGehee 6-3 MB, Lee’s Summit West (Lee’s Summit, Missouri) also in the top 50.

Congrats to all three.  



I must of missed her when I read through it the first time and thought wow no McGehee. I guess OP missed it too. So congrats also to Meagan.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

vb4mee

Registered Member

Posts: 404 Member Since:01/09/09

#11003 [url]

Jan 26 12 5:50 PM

oooops

BigPurce wrote:
opksvball wrote:
Hats off and congratulations to both of these area players
for being named among the 50 finalists for National Player
of the Year.

JT included a nice paragraph on each player in his write-up.

Paige Brown, 5-7 S, St. James   

Shelby Workman, 6-0 RS, Bishop Miege
You Kansas people.  Living in your own world.  Let's not leave out  Megan McGehee 6-3 MB, Lee’s Summit West (Lee’s Summit, Missouri) also in the top 50.

Congrats to all three.  



There must have been a revision to the original list posted.  The original release stated there were 51 players but I only counted 50 players listed.  With McGehee added (and rightfully so), there are 51 players listed and rightfully so.  Congrats to megan, paige and shelby.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

opksvball

Registered Member

Posts: 719 Member Since:10/31/10

#11005 [url]

Jan 26 12 10:28 PM

vb4mee wrote:
BigPurce wrote:
opksvball wrote:
Hats off and congratulations to both of these area players
for being named among the 50 finalists for National Player
of the Year.

JT included a nice paragraph on each player in his write-up.

Paige Brown, 5-7 S, St. James   

Shelby Workman, 6-0 RS, Bishop Miege
You Kansas people.  Living in your own world.  Let's not leave out  Megan McGehee 6-3 MB, Lee’s Summit West (Lee’s Summit, Missouri) also in the top 50.

Congrats to all three.  



There must have been a revision to the original list posted.  The original release stated there were 51 players but I only counted 50 players listed.  With McGehee added (and rightfully so), there are 51 players listed and rightfully so.  Congrats to megan, paige and shelby.

BP - JT must have revised the list Tongue 

Perhaps the only remaining clue is that as late as 
tonight the caption under the picture states "50"
while the first paragraph references "51".  Hmmm....

If only Columbo were here to crack the case.... Wink

Assumption setter Katie George is one of 50
finalists for National Player of the Year

Below please read about our 51 senior finalists
for the National Player of the Year award.
We will reveal our Player of the Year next week.
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

sportzmark

Registered Member

Posts: 373 Member Since:04/08/08

#11006 [url]

Jan 26 12 10:41 PM

buzz around

Why didn't the buzz mention the new Notre Dame de Sion coach. Joe Maloney, soon to be retired from Raytown South High School, is now on staff there.

Joe Maloney - Joe has been a fixture in the volleyball community in the Midwest for over thirty years. He has 20 years experience as a National Referee and as a Big 8/Big 12 NCAA Division I official. He has 10 years combined experience as the Head Volleyball Coach at Rockhurst University and Penn Valley Community College that includes winning seasons every year, District Coach of the Year recognition and a 5th place finish in the NJCAA National Tournament. He started, directed and coached the successful Kansas City Juniors Volleyball Club for boys and girls from 1981 to 1996. With his recent OPEN Championship in 2010 with INVASION 15 BLACK, Joe has now coached six teams to National Championships, three to 2nd place finishes and four to 3rd place finishes. He served for five years as the Associate Commissioner of the Heart of America Region and served as the Head Volleyball Coach at Raytown H.S. and Raytown South H.S. for a combined 9 years.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

The Buzz around

Registered Member

Posts: 16 Member Since:01/15/09

#11007 [url]

Jan 26 12 10:59 PM

The story for Olathe NW is not so much about who will eventually be named as the coach.......... but more about the exit of "Dynasty" director/founder Bryon Larson.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

KSVB Fan

Registered Member

Posts: 146 Member Since:01/06/09

#11008 [url]

Jan 27 12 7:01 AM

Wow!

sportzmark wrote:
Why didn't the buzz mention the new Notre Dame de Sion coach. Joe Maloney, soon to be retired from Raytown South High School, is now on staff there.

Joe Maloney - Joe has been a fixture in the volleyball community in the Midwest for over thirty years. He has 20 years experience as a National Referee and as a Big 8/Big 12 NCAA Division I official. He has 10 years combined experience as the Head Volleyball Coach at Rockhurst University and Penn Valley Community College that includes winning seasons every year, District Coach of the Year recognition and a 5th place finish in the NJCAA National Tournament. He started, directed and coached the successful Kansas City Juniors Volleyball Club for boys and girls from 1981 to 1996. With his recent OPEN Championship in 2010 with INVASION 15 BLACK, Joe has now coached six teams to National Championships, three to 2nd place finishes and four to 3rd place finishes. He served for five years as the Associate Commissioner of the Heart of America Region and served as the Head Volleyball Coach at Raytown H.S. and Raytown South H.S. for a combined 9 years.
Those are some lucky girls getting Joe as their coach!  Congrats Joe

Quote    Reply   
avatar

vballin

Registered Member

Posts: 404 Member Since:10/31/07

#11009 [url]

Jan 27 12 7:01 AM

The Buzz around wrote:
The story for Olathe NW is not so much about who will eventually be named as the coach.......... but more about the exit of "Dynasty" director/founder Bryon Larson.
Did he leave or get let go? 


  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

BigPurce

Registered Member

Posts: 495 Member Since:02/11/10

#11010 [url]

Jan 27 12 7:18 AM

Mizzz

Heard he was let go, but could be a rumor??


Interesting move for Sion.  I guess they are starting to take their athletics a little more seriously.  Good for them.  It probably would have benefited them to make this announcement before the high school placement tests, but a great move nonetheless.


Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas, sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches.  - Josey Wales

Quote    Reply   
avatar

HoodVB.haltechdiscussi...

Registered Member

Posts: 70 Member Since:07/05/11

#11011 [url]

Jan 27 12 8:29 AM

sportzmark wrote:
Why didn't the buzz mention the new Notre Dame de Sion coach. Joe Maloney, soon to be retired from Raytown South High School, is now on staff there.

Joe Maloney - Joe has been a fixture in the volleyball community in the Midwest for over thirty years. He has 20 years experience as a National Referee and as a Big 8/Big 12 NCAA Division I official. He has 10 years combined experience as the Head Volleyball Coach at Rockhurst University and Penn Valley Community College that includes winning seasons every year, District Coach of the Year recognition and a 5th place finish in the NJCAA National Tournament. He started, directed and coached the successful Kansas City Juniors Volleyball Club for boys and girls from 1981 to 1996. With his recent OPEN Championship in 2010 with INVASION 15 BLACK, Joe has now coached six teams to National Championships, three to 2nd place finishes and four to 3rd place finishes. He served for five years as the Associate Commissioner of the Heart of America Region and served as the Head Volleyball Coach at Raytown H.S. and Raytown South H.S. for a combined 9 years.
And the hood takes another hit for the greater good...Frown

Now have a Top 25 soph and a top coach enjoying greener pastures elsewhere...Ohwell

Much like the Royals, nothing more than a farm team...Eek

Prolly always gonna be this way...Eyes

Quote    Reply   
avatar

sportzmark

Registered Member

Posts: 373 Member Since:04/08/08

#11012 [url]

Jan 27 12 4:22 PM

Sion




It'll be interesting to see if the administration at Sion takes the volleyball program as seriously as Joe will. If so, the program will get back up in the top tier of programs in the area. Current 7th and 8th graders need to give this a hard look if volleyball is a consideration.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

vballin

Registered Member

Posts: 404 Member Since:10/31/07

#11013 [url]

Jan 27 12 4:29 PM

Alyssa Carney to WSU

Alyssa Carney committed to playing for Wichita State today. Alyssa is starting her 4th year with Topeka Impact 17's team as a Libero. Congrats Alyssas you will do great things at WSU

Quote    Reply   
avatar

opksvball

Registered Member

Posts: 719 Member Since:10/31/10

#11014 [url]

Jan 27 12 6:05 PM

2011 Andi Collins Award Finalists

I really, really like the fact that JT honors Andi with what he considers to be the nation's best "pure" setters (see his description below).

Many congratulations to both Paige and Nicole for being among the nation's finalists for this award.

Andi Collins wanted to be the best setter in the nation. Cancer ended that dream Sept. 4, 2003, a month shy of her 17th birthday. The Andi Collins Award, presented in her honor and memory, recognizes the best senior setter in the nation.

.... of the 73 more than worthy candidates in another terrific year for setters.....

With only a couple of exceptions, you won’t find players on the list who were not pure setters..... Andi Collins was a pure setter and with so many good ones to choose from, I wanted to honor Andi’s legacy by choosing someone who emulated her.

Paige Brown, 5-7 S, St. James (Lenexa, Kansas)

Nicole Wemhoff, 5-9 S, St. Teresa’s Academy (Kansas City, Missouri)


Quote    Reply   
avatar

opksvball

Registered Member

Posts: 719 Member Since:10/31/10

#11015 [url]

Jan 27 12 7:39 PM

vballin wrote:
Alyssa Carney committed to playing for Wichita State today. Alyssa is starting her 4th year with Topeka Impact 17's team as a Libero. Congrats Alyssas you will do great things at WSU

Congratulations to Alyssa!

At the next PowerLeague, Alyssa should plan to talk with
the Wichita Power 17's player who committed to WSU last Fall....
of course they may already know each other.....

GO SHOCK's !



     

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ixxxl

Registered Member

Posts: 414 Member Since:10/19/07

#11016 [url]

Jan 29 12 11:54 AM

.

Hoods issue with the leaning of the sport to favor the wealthier suburbs makes me curious about something. Does anyone know if there is in Kansas City, has ever been, or is something similar to the Starlings National Volleyball Program/Club that tries to make club volleyball a possibility to those who could not normally afford it ?

Quote    Reply   
avatar

priceisrite

Registered Member

Posts: 42 Member Since:03/04/08

#11017 [url]

Jan 29 12 12:26 PM

Starlings....

Yes...Jan Madlock used to do it, probably 5-6 years ago. She used to coach at KU, Avila, Blue Valley Northwest and a couple club organiztions as well. Jan is a great gal and I think devotes most of her time to a young family now. As for if anyone still does it...not sure.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

HoodVB.haltechdiscussi...

Registered Member

Posts: 70 Member Since:07/05/11

#11018 [url]

Jan 29 12 5:43 PM

ixxxl wrote:
Hoods issue with the leaning of the sport to favor the wealthier suburbs makes me curious about something. Does anyone know if there is in Kansas City, has ever been, or is something similar to the Starlings National Volleyball Program/Club that tries to make club volleyball a possibility to those who could not normally afford it ?
In Hoyt, KS there is a Starlings group that plays with HOA.  Somewhat along these lines, from looking at the Kansas Crush site it appears their club fees for this year are $200-300.  Yes that's a full zero less than many other clubs charge.  In the past BVAC has had low fees on the MO side as well.  There are likely others not mentioned, would be interested to hear about more. Given this, there are several girls in our district for whom club ball is not an option, their families are struggling just to meet basic needs.

Wouldn't it be great to see more clubs where $ came from donations, there were no fees, and players were chosen wholly based on ability.  It would seem that focusing on the younger ages would allow those who otherwise could not participate to not fall behind and end up being excluded as occurs today.  I know I would be willing to donate some of my time to such an effort if it would help.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

vb4metoo

Registered Member

Posts: 35 Member Since:06/05/09

#11019 [url]

Jan 30 12 7:25 AM

atta girl

opksvball wrote:
I really, really like the fact that JT honors Andi with what he considers to be the nation's best "pure" setters (see his description below).

Many congratulations to both Paige and Nicole for being among the nation's finalists for this award.

Andi Collins wanted to be the best setter in the nation. Cancer ended that dream Sept. 4, 2003, a month shy of her 17th birthday. The Andi Collins Award, presented in her honor and memory, recognizes the best senior setter in the nation.

.... of the 73 more than worthy candidates in another terrific year for setters.....

With only a couple of exceptions, you won’t find players on the list who were not pure setters..... Andi Collins was a pure setter and with so many good ones to choose from, I wanted to honor Andi’s legacy by choosing someone who emulated her.

Paige Brown, 5-7 S, St. James (Lenexa, Kansas)

Nicole Wemhoff, 5-9 S, St. Teresa’s Academy (Kansas City, Missouri)



Once again, great HOA representation.  Congrats to both Paige and Nicole - both very deserving of this prestigious award.  That puts Paige on 2 PVB lists at the same time.  Atta Girl!!!
  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

vb4metoo

Registered Member

Posts: 35 Member Since:06/05/09

#11020 [url]

Jan 30 12 7:29 AM

18s Powerleague

Didn't see Nut around to do the 18s powerleague report.  He must have been at the youngins matches!  MAVS are playing well together once again.  MAVS over KC Power in the 2nd match of the day.  Midwest Explosion pulls out the wins on the day after two tough matches from KC Explosion and PVA.  both took Midwest Explosion to 3.  PVA will have a good season, they are improving every time out.  Didn't get to see too many other matches.  HOA please turn on the heat earlier in the morning.  I'm pretty sure we could see our breath in there bright and early. 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help