SBsD

Registered Member

Lead

Oct 27 08 10:32 PM

Tags : :

My daughter is a 13 year old setter/hitter and had no problem wearing Active Ankles during here first season two years ago. Last year, however, she was uncomfortable with them and wore them only part of the time. Because she spends lots of time at the net, I want her to use them. Even though I got to see tons of players at JO's last summer, I (regretfully) didn't pay any attention to their ankle braces.

How many parents or coaches require that some or all of their front players wear some sort of ankle protection? Given the time and money invested, I feel that I have a right to make such a demand on my daughter. Is there any sort of consensus on this?

BTW, is there substantially more risk during actual games as opposed to at practices? Might it be reasonable to wear them only during games?

Quote    Reply   

bearclause

Registered Member

#1 [url]

Oct 27 08 11:00 PM

There are other products besides Active Ankles. Some find lace-up boot style ankle braces to be more comfortable. When I had tender ankles, I tried a Mueller ATF ankle brace. The ones from Swede-O seem to be fairly common too. I rather like the Mueller one because they were left/right specific and seemed to fit a little bit better.

http://www.swedeo.com/ankleproducts.htm
http://www.muellersportsmed.com/atfanklebrace.htm

Quote    Reply   

treece

Registered Member

#2 [url]

Oct 28 08 2:28 AM

I did a bunch of research and learned they do help reduce rollover ankle injuries. One daughter always wears them, the other refuses, but I think I will make her. From what I understand, wearing them daily does somewhat weaken the ankles, because the brace does the work for the muscles. My daughter wears the Mueller Lite Ankle brace which costs about half of the Active Ankle brace by Cramer.

Here's an article on a fairly recent study.

http://www.reuters.com/ar...ews/idUSKUA56473120080215

Quote    Reply   

N2TRUX

Registered Member

#3 [url]

Oct 28 08 4:45 AM

SBsD wrote:
BTW, is there substantially more risk during actual games as opposed to at practices? Might it be reasonable to wear them only during games?

My experience has been that there are more injuries that happen at practice than during actual play. You have to factor in that many injuries are caused by loose balls getting under a player. Obviously this is more prone to happen in a practice session when baskets of balls are rolling around rather than the small amount at a match.

Of course this is not the only cause of ankle injuries, but it seems to be most common.

Quote    Reply   

the newest challenger

Registered Member

#4 [url]

Oct 28 08 7:44 AM

to brace or not to brace, there is no question

My teams are and will continue to be mandated to wear some type of brace. Even the liberos wear them. There is a theory that your ankles will weaken because of wearing them, but 2 hours a day will not make a difference. Most of these girls wear flip-flops during the day and those provide no ankle support at all. The ankles are always working to stabilize even with normal shoes on. Losing a player to an ankle injury in highschool or even club can send a season into a tailspin that is difficult to get out of.

After every practice and every competition day we do ankle strengthening exercises without the braces on. We did have a girl come down on a foot last year at a tournament. She had rolled that one before, and heard a pop. It scared her pretty good, but she only sat out about 5 rallies. She did have braces on, and probably heard the calcium deposits breaking loose. Its pretty common after spraining an ankle.

Quote    Reply   

spikeattack

Registered Member

#5 [url]

Oct 28 08 8:02 AM

small scare!

My daughter started wearing ankle braces this past club season. Well, she wore them during the HS season but decided to not wear them for one Friday practice. She slightly turned her ankle and it scared her a little. I don't think she will let the braces slide again anytime soon.

Quote    Reply   

groupguy

Registered Member

#6 [url]

Oct 28 08 9:31 AM

I wish someone had told us what I'm going to tell you

Tell your daughter to wear the braces. They help. They don't hurt. Every high level player gets ankle protection, either taping or braces or both. Olympics, college, many clubs. Front and back row.

I've heard talk of knee stress and ankle weakness. After following this for 8 years now, the girls who wear braces are healthier than those who don't. My daughters both had to sprain their ankles a couple times before they started wearing the braces, after the braces, no more sprained ankles.

It shouldn't be a debate in my opinion based on all the articles and the fact that the teams coached by professional coaches with professional trainers wear them- because they work.

Quote    Reply   

justavbdadx2

Registered Member

#8 [url]

Oct 28 08 2:13 PM

My daughters started wearing active ankles this HS season because the college that recruited them mandates their players either wear ankle support or have the ankles tape every time they are on the court (practice or match). This school has Active Ankle as one of it's sponsors, so that is the brand that they decided to use. It's better to get accustom to wearing them durring the HS season than club, and they definitely don't want to wait until they arive at college.

Quote    Reply   

BJT3

Registered Member

#9 [url]

Oct 28 08 5:59 PM

Search through the archives, there are many threads deeply covering this topic. Pro, con, and even which braces may be better or have adverse affects

Quote    Reply   

Spiderman

Registered Member

#10 [url]

Nov 1 08 6:47 AM

Braces... good!: No Braces... bad!

My daughter switched from Active Ankle to ASO (Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis) made by Med Spec two years ago. It is a ballistic nylon, lace-up brace with semi-rigid plastic stays on the inside and outside of the ankle. The stabilizing straps crisscross under the foot and stick to the upper ankle area with velcro. The braces are equal to a basket-weave tape job done by athletic trainers. They fit well in volleyball shoes and your daughter doesn't look like she is a character in a Transformer movie!

This is a great product, folks! Last night in a warm up match in preparation for the Texas 5A playoffs, my daughter, while blocking, rolled her ankle after landing on a hitters foot on our side our side of the court. The on-duty trainer claims this style of brace most likely kept her from breaking her ankle or having the injury move to another part of her leg (lower leg bone, knee, etc...). She has a sprained ankle but it is not severe and her rehab should be short-lived. Without these braces, she would be out for the the remainder of the playoffs and possibly a good part of her club season.

Have your daughter wear braces... she won't regret it!

http://www.medspec.com/OnlineProducts.cfm?ID=20

Quote    Reply   

Vintense

Registered Member

#11 [url]

Nov 1 08 8:11 AM

ASO Braces

Gotta stick with Spidey on this one (couldn't resist the pun). DD has been wearing them for two years and give mobility and stability she needs for volleyball and basketball.

She purchased her second pair of ASO braces in white which are almost inconspicuous on the court compared to socks if asthetics are an issue.

There are a lot of websites that have these and other ankle braces for varying prices.

Quote    Reply   

WIVBCRAZY

Registered Member

#12 [url]

Nov 1 08 1:24 PM

Find something that she is comfortable in and have her wear them. If she doesn't like the brace it won't be doing her vb bag any good or the inside of her closet either....

I had one daughter wear the active ankles and one that didn't like where they hit her shin. She was subject to shin splints ant the AA's caused these to flare up. Lace ups worked for her (she is a bit older and some of the new types were not available) As I said there are other options and they get better all the time.

I was at a guys game last night and saw an awesome player go up, pound the ball and come down just barely on another foot. He hopped around on the foot that was still facing the correct direction before going to the floor. I have seen alot of injuries, done my ankles more times than I can count, and never have I seen an ankle look like this one. They took him by rescue squad to the ER and I haven't heard yet what the injury actually was. Our guess was dislocation or break. He wasn't wearing any type of support. Who knows, may not have helped, but seeing that last night I don't know if I would take that chance. I heard one of the opposing players go up to his coach and thank him for requiring AA's on everyone.

Quote    Reply   

BJT3

Registered Member

#13 [url]

Nov 1 08 4:57 PM

groupguy wrote:

Tell your daughter to wear the braces. They help. They don't hurt. Every high level player gets ankle protection, either taping or braces or both. Olympics, college, many clubs. Front and back row.

I've heard talk of knee stress and ankle weakness. After following this for 8 years now, the girls who wear braces are healthier than those who don't. My daughters both had to sprain their ankles a couple times before they started wearing the braces, after the braces, no more sprained ankles.

It shouldn't be a debate in my opinion based on all the articles and the fact that the teams coached by professional coaches with professional trainers wear them- because they work.

Whether or not it's a good thing, far from every high level player wears them. Please don't state false facts...unless you're running for office.

And debate is good, if everyone just accepted things because that's how the top does it, or that's how the majority does it, there will be no innovation. The Fosbury Flop would have never been invented, football helmets would be less effective, and many harmful training techniques/skills would still be in practice.

Quote    Reply   

groupguy

Registered Member

#14 [url]

Nov 1 08 9:30 PM

OK, sorry if I overstated the fact

Every high level player I've seen the past couple years since I started looking at this wears them.

Except the beach volleyball players.

I'm just a parent who went through a couple years of needless confusion on this issue before figuring it out once I got past the anecdotal evidence that turned out to be less true than my observations.

I'm curious who you are as I remember your s/n as the most vocal (and nearly only) opponent of ankle bracing.

Quote    Reply   

SBsD

Registered Member

#15 [url]

Nov 1 08 10:55 PM

OP Here. How to Sort Through Them ?

I would like to find ankle support that is reasonably comfortable for my dd, but does anyone know a non-bank breaking way to do that? We've currently got Active Ankles (which are a comfort issue), but how can I find a replacement that she will find comfortable without spending $50 to $100 per pair and accumulating a whole closetfull? Too bad there's no easy way for these players to try out different ankle braces without the cash layout. Any suggestions?

Quote    Reply   

BJT3

Registered Member

#16 [url]

Nov 3 08 3:45 PM

Groupguy-I'm not an opponent to ankle bracing, I just like to make sure the facts are out there for people to make their own decisions. There are still some medical professionals that question how forces are transferred to the rest of our body when braces are worn, and some other studies such as one that has found a certain type of brace to inhibit performance more than another type. There are many collegiate and international women, and more men that play without bracing.

SBsD- I have heard that many who find AA braces to be uncomfortable like ASO braces and find them just as supportive. They sell for $30-$40 a piece.

Quote    Reply   

SBsD

Registered Member

#17 [url]

Nov 4 08 11:00 PM

Just Ordered the ASO's Today

Thanks for all the help. I ordered a pair of the ASO braces this morning at about $30 each. Between this board and some other sources, these seem to be the clear "comfort" winners for those players who don't like the more structured Active Ankles. I'll probably report back soon with an update after dd has had a chance to try them out. I've decided that she will wear one type or the other at both practices and games from now on (she can choose which). As long as I'm footing the bills for club ball, I think I'll control this aspect of the activity.

Quote    Reply   

colegryph

Registered Member

#18 [url]

Nov 8 08 10:30 PM

I believe Active Ankles have become more of a fad or fashion statement, and the companies are getting rich from it. The school I coach at was actually sponsored by Active Ankle for almost 10 years until our insurance company no longer permitted us to use them for medical reasons. We switched to ASOs for a few years but have since gone without them for the majority of our upperclassmen. For our incoming players, we allow them to wear ASOs for the first semester with the goal of weening them off. We spend extensive time specifically strengthening the ankle. Now if someone has an ankle injury, I'm all for using the a softshell type ankle brace (like ASO) to give extra stability and strength.

Anyone who has been around someone has torn their ACL knows how much they rely on their knee brace (and should). The problem comes once the knee is strong enough and the proper rehab has been done. There is no longer a need to wear the knee brace, but most players can't mentally get past it. Like that situation, we are creating players today who don't know how to function without ankle braces. The volleyball community needs to spend more time strengthening their players' bodies instead of simply strapping on more protective gear. Otherwise, we should should start a fad of every player wearing knee braces because of the amount of ACL tears occurring each season.

Note: I was told by one of the top orthopedic surgeons in the country that Active Ankles weaken the ankle by taking away the ankles natural flexibility, throwing the body out of balance. When you don't have that flexibility and cushion when landing, the ankle is proned to injury. In fact, a majority of sport injuries occur from the body being out of balance not from freak occurences. Out of balance also stems from overuse. But that's another topic for debate!

Quote    Reply   

SBsD

Registered Member

#19 [url]

Nov 8 08 11:20 PM

DD Loves the ASO's

Original Poster here. Got the ASO's and dd likes them much better than Active Ankles. Far more comfortable, and appear to give good support without being restrictive. I will order a second pair before the season starts so that we can keep them washed (stinky feet issues here). BTW, I ordered them through Medical Sources LLC in Rainbow City, Alabama. Good price, fast, friendly service.

Regarding the weakening of ankles as a result of wearing ankle support, I'm not really worried in this case because dd plays beach all summer and gets lots of safe leg and ankle strength and stability development from that. For her, wearing support while on a crowded court makes sense. Why wait for an injury to happen before addressing the problem? I don't think I would let her play for a coach that didn't allow braces.

Quote    Reply   

CAclubcoach

Registered Member

#20 [url]

Nov 9 08 12:58 PM

recent research

I just did an article for our club newsletter about how to prevent ankle injuries. When writing this article I came across the following article in the American Journal of Sports Medicine. This was written in Feb '08 so the research is pretty recent. I found it to be an interesting read. Enjoy
http://ajs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/36/2/324

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help