lb4me

Registered Member

#1 [url]

Aug 24 08 1:00 PM

Freshman on varsity...

Long Beach Wilson has one freshman on varsity who is a setter/rs and Redondo Union also has a freshman that is an outside/libero.

Last Edited By: lb4me Aug 24 08 7:17 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

abraxas

Registered Member

#2 [url]

Aug 24 08 2:00 PM

Very rare around here

Yes it is a big deal and very rare here. None made it this year. Past 6 years our league has only had three freshmen make Varsity, separate schools, all setters with club experience, and 2 were starters. One has graduated and, although recruited by several schools, decided not to play in college because she was burned out. The others are still playing in HS.

But the most recent top two players from our league, both middles playing D1 now - did not make Varsity until sometime during their sophomore (and not at beginning) year.

As a freshman my DD did have friends who made Varsity soccer, cross-country, track, and softball. So maybe it happens more in other sports...

I do think that if a freshman makes Varsity and gets playing time - she is probably pretty special.

P.S. I edited because I no way meant to demean the girls who do make it early!

Last Edited By: abraxas Aug 24 08 5:30 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

ktb182

Registered Member

#3 [url]

Aug 24 08 3:45 PM

Of course it's a big deal! My daughter made the varsity as a frosh at Mishawaka Marian (indiana) 4 years ago and had the time of her life! She was stunned to have made it, so much so she pinched herself. I will never forget the look on her face when she ran out to the car to tell me..........Now she's a frosh at Valpo and she can't wait to play!

Quote    Reply   

NYvbc

Registered Member

#4 [url]

Aug 24 08 5:33 PM

Freshmen on Varsity

We'll have 2 freshmen on the varsity team, but neither will see a lot of play time. The difference in practices makes it advantageous for these kids to be on varsity in our area...

Quote    Reply   

icheer4vb

Registered Member

#5 [url]

Aug 24 08 5:43 PM

It is a big deal here. We have one starting freshman and one coming in off the bench. Last year we had one freshman on the bench and the year before that one starting. Not common and almost always is a club player.

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun"
Katherine Hepburn

Quote    Reply   

LarryBirdFan

Registered Member

#6 [url]

Aug 24 08 5:48 PM

Supermom,
It is a big deal, however in WA a contributing factor is the fact that not many of the public schools are 4 year high schools. That being said, not too many freshman would make their varsity team for a variety of reasons.

Though the level of play in club is usually much better, the best thing about high school is that the girls sometimes get to play in front of some rowdy crowds! My daughter went to a Rogers vs. Curtis match last year and loved how the Rogers football team came to the games in fully painted splendor and cheered like crazy. She is hoping that her school does the same!

Quote    Reply   

TxClubMom

Registered Member

#7 [url]

Aug 24 08 7:42 PM

Varsity
Freshman = 0
Sophomores = 1
Juniors = 4
Seniors = 11

All the other eight 2010 Juniors are playing on JV another year and some openly admit hating it. Many threatened (but not in front of the coach) to quit. Then cooler heads prevailed and they decided since they were a sure thing on Varsity for their Sr. year, to ride it out and get the letter jacket. Most are still threatening to not play club ball this fall, but it could just be more talk again.

With so many Juniors on one JV team, the school only took 3 incoming Sophomores and cut the other 25 on the Freshman squad (all played club).

So this year's Varsity team has 11 returning players going into their second year of Varsity play. Next year's Varsity team will be 4 returning players (if everyone stays), and 8 incoming Srs. that have had two years of JV play - plus the 3 on JV from the Sophomore class.

Quote    Reply   

PirateVBFan

Registered Member

#8 [url]

Aug 24 08 7:55 PM

We have had one Freshman on Varsity (and therefore only one four year letter winner) in the history of the school. Of course, along the lines of LBF's comment, we only switched to being a four year HS four years ago . I have no doubt that if we had been a four year high school in 1999, then Courtney Thompson and several friends would probably have made Varsity their freshman year.

Our big rival, Kentwood, had one freshman on Varsity a couple of years ago, but I never understood why. She didn't play much and would have been much better off on JV.

Quote    Reply   

groupguy

Registered Member

#9 [url]

Aug 24 08 9:11 PM

Seems like less than 10% of teams have even one Frosh starter

Our daughter started as a freshman OH/RS last year. Watching her start to move for the dig just as it was hitting the back wall (her team played 5 of the top 10 in IL last year) was an indication of the vast increase in level of competition, but her teamates were great.

Sadly, this year no one from her class has moved up with her yet, so it's a little lonely. Fortunately, there is a sold freshman class coming in so she's pretty hopeful about the future.

Quote    Reply   

DarthVolleyball

Registered Member

#10 [url]

Aug 24 08 10:43 PM

one of the school districts in our area had a rule that said freshman had to play on varsity or the freshman team, no JV. So if the freshman player was too good to leave on the freshman team they played varsity and some times would move to JV sophomore year. That rule has been changed for the current year and the better freshman will play JV which will give them more playing time and better prep them for varsity.

Quote    Reply   

volleysisters

Registered Member

#11 [url]

Aug 25 08 8:42 AM

Our school has had a strong vb feeder platform for years. Elementary schools have fall leagues and strong middle school varsity and jv programs. Still only 3 freshmen have made varsity in the last five years. Class of 2005 OH, 2009 OH and 2010 Setter. Only the setter started as a freshman (14 National JO Gold medalist). Tied for league champs and the highest finish ever for the school. Socially though hanging with varsity was kind of lonely. She hung out with her froshie team mates and sat with them on their bench before the varsity match and cheered her heart out for them whenever possible. I think it was a really lonely spot for the OH's that didn't see a lot of game time at first. There are many experiences in high school sports that are gained and missed when underclassmen are promoted to varsity.

Quote    Reply   

DarthVolleyball

Registered Member

#12 [url]

Aug 25 08 10:15 AM

the sisters make a very good point the differences between a fall semester freshman and a fall semester senior socially are many. i had to answer a ton of interesting questions based on what the older girls talked about when my oldest played varsity as a freshman.

Quote    Reply   

welshwind

Registered Member

#13 [url]

Aug 25 08 3:03 PM

Huge deal around here. I won't say it never happens, but you have to have Colleen Ward and Kelly Murphy potential if it is to happen (or the varsity team has to have a huge hole at a specific position).

Last Edited By: welshwind Aug 25 08 3:23 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

loganpkbt

Registered Member

#14 [url]

Aug 25 08 4:30 PM

A handful

of freshman in my memory in WA state. The mix of 3 year and 4 year schools as mentioned is a contributing factor but also what a given team needs at a given time. I think the most successful programs the head coach has a picture of theiroverall program as well as their individaul teams. With that said good luck to all the incoming freshman on their first day of tryouts in our area.

Quote    Reply   

2012vbmom

Registered Member

#15 [url]

Aug 25 08 8:05 PM

swingers

In my area girls playing-up are often called "swingers" . A very talented frosh would make the JV team as a swinger; meaning she would play JV and swing up to varsity when needed. (These girls suit up for JV and V games. )
If varsity wanted to use her, they could, as long as she doesn't play in more than 6 games combined against any team.

Quote    Reply   

gotsandvb

Registered Member

#16 [url]

Aug 25 08 9:07 PM

hahaha... this is a funny topic NOW. Few years back my daughter was left on JV in favorite of three other freshmen. I though my daughter was better than the other girls but decided not to make waves. Clearly it was some politics because of parents coach relationship. Daughter made varsity a year later and by their senior year. My daughter was the only one with DI scholarship offers. My point is, my daughter was on JV and got a lot of playing time, the other three sat on the bench all year. Yes, is Huge deal if your freshman plays but totally a waste of time if she's on the bench every game.

Quote    Reply   

c10hs5smom

Registered Member

#17 [url]

Aug 27 08 12:41 PM

Starting Freshman

I fondly look back at my daughters freshman year....she was one of two, and they were both starters. She has played VB since she was 4 and couldn't wait to take her place amongst girls she had admired since elementary school. Well did she get her eyes opened. She went from top dog in club to the "freshman starter". What she learned was don't make no dang difference how good you are, but you have a right of passage as a freshman. You have to chase balls, you have to set up and take down the net, and you don't dare miss a practice even when throwing up. I just told her to suck it up, one day she would be the upper classman. Now as a Junior, there is a starting freshman, and I remind her often about how she felt as a freshman and I am glad to report that she treats this girl better than the upperclassmen treated her.

Quote    Reply   

vball58

Registered Member

#18 [url]

Aug 29 08 10:45 PM

Freshman on Varsity in Omaha, Nebraska Area

There are quite a few freshman playing varsity here in Omaha, NE and the surrounding suburbs. There are two on our high school team and they will both be immediate contributors to the team. I know there are many teams in the area with talented freshman who will contribute this year to their high school varsity teams. It is exciting!

Quote    Reply   

VolleyballFan13

Registered Member

#19 [url]

Aug 30 08 6:25 AM

Upper Classman

c10hs5smom wrote:
I fondly look back at my daughters freshman year....she was one of two, and they were both starters. She has played VB since she was 4 and couldn't wait to take her place amongst girls she had admired since elementary school. Well did she get her eyes opened. She went from top dog in club to the "freshman starter". What she learned was don't make no dang difference how good you are, but you have a right of passage as a freshman. You have to chase balls, you have to set up and take down the net, and you don't dare miss a practice even when throwing up. I just told her to suck it up, one day she would be the upper classman. Now as a Junior, there is a starting freshman, and I remind her often about how she felt as a freshman and I am glad to report that she treats this girl better than the upperclassmen treated her.
As a parent of an underclassman playing with upperclassman, I am pleasantly surprised and impressed by how welcoming the upperclassman are to the girls. They have been included in all social activities and in general, they have been so nice. I am guessing that their parents gave them the same advice you gave your daughter. Thank goodness for good parenting:)

Last Edited By: VolleyballFan13 Aug 31 08 4:27 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

lawless

Registered Member

#20 [url]

Sep 1 08 5:11 PM

Phoenix Voleyball

Freshman players on varsity seem relatively common around the Phoenix area.

My daughter's School Seton Catholic (3A runner-up with 550 students) has 3 Freshman
Xavier Prep (state champ 5A /top 100 school pvb.com) 2 Freshman

Gilbert (5A /top 100 school pvb.com) 2 Freshman

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help