kcorum

Lead

Mar 6 08 2:10 PM

Tags : :

I'm not very experienced in the wood shop, so does anyone have a good schematic or ideas for creating some quality hitting boxes? (In other words, boxes to stand on while hitting in practice) For instance, is there a type/thickness of wood that is better than another? What height is recommended? Anyone learn anything the hard way when you made yours so I won't have to make the same mistakes when I'm making mine? Any assistance (short of actually making them for me) would be appreciated!
Quote    Reply   

coachvb

Registered Member

#1 [url]

Mar 6 08 2:24 PM

Steps

We use steps.....the kind from good ol' "step class." They are light weight and stackable which is good for adjusting different heights. The only drawback is they are a little narrow but manage to do the job.

Be prepared for someone to respond with negative comments about this.........some feel that a box is counter-productive...

Quote    Reply   

yellowcardtx

Registered Member

#3 [url]

Mar 6 08 7:27 PM

www.noshortcutsusa.com they have practice boxes for sale.

lee's a great guy and would probably be glad to share with you what they are made out of.

Life is tough... even tougher if you are stupid!

Quote    Reply   

BigFella

Registered Member

#4 [url]

Mar 7 08 9:06 AM

"Perfect" Boxes

I have made more than a few jump boxes and here is what I recommend:

1. 4ft x 4ft x 18in
2. 4ft x 8ft x 18in

We made these out of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood untreated for the box sides, tops and bottoms. We cut "handles" out of one of the sides and sanded them off. We then put four rolling castors on the opposite side of the handles for ease of moving. We carpeted the top and bottom with whatever was on sale at Home Depot, etc. For support, we placed 2x4's in each of the four corners and one 4x4 directly in the middle of the box.

18" is a good height for hitting to players as a coach and also is a realistic height in terms of players hitting to work on their armswing. (24" is too high for the last purpose)

I have pictures somewhere that I could post on here - I just have to find them.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help