ndebt4vball

Registered Member

#981 [url]

Feb 14 14 2:13 PM

I figured you would have the answer to that, PD. For us having to get thru them...only to get to see you all will definitely be a challenge! We have had a little shakeup with our roster and now down to a more manageable 11. Still have some work to do on the chemistry side of things but thankfully there is still plenty of year left. You guys certainly have us figured out...just hit everything to the libero! Are you making the trip??

Quote    Reply   

ndebt4vball

Registered Member

#983 [url]

Feb 14 14 3:03 PM

Great! I hope to be in a more talkative mood for this one! Unfortunately, we will be playing in the "warehouse district" of the city. The facility itself is pretty new which should be nice but not quite the convenience or amenities of playing in the Convention center. If I remember correctly, bring a camp chair to sit in. It looks like the 16's are at the same facility so there should be some colleges there as well.

Quote    Reply   

dftsmile

Registered Member

#984 [url]

Feb 15 14 10:32 PM

Interesting Results from Day 1 of Prez Day Tourneys

Upsets based on Rich's rankings...

Omaha
Legacy VBA 15-Rox def Premier 15 Gold 14-25, 12-25
Invasion 15 Black def Premier 15 Gold 25-9, 25-13
Invasion 15 Black def FRVBC 15 White 25-18, 25-22
Colorado Juniors 15 Alex def CIS 15M 26-24, 25-20

Chicago
KIVA 15 White def Fusion-South 15 Red 25-16, 25-22 (Fusion still won the pool)
Rockwood Thunder 14 Mizuno def IlliniElite15Cardinal 25-16, 25-15
Legacy 15-1 def Triangle 15 Black 25-16, 25-12
AVC Clev Rox 14N Harvey def Triangle 15 Black 25-21, 19-25, 15-13

St. Louis
Alliance 15 Mizuno def ASICS MAVS 15-1 25-18, 25-20
PVA 15 Elite def Rockwood Thunder 15 Mizuno 23-25, 25-20, 15-11

Anybody have more to add or some color commentary perhaps?

Quote    Reply   

muwaryer

Registered Member

#985 [url]

Feb 16 14 7:09 AM

dftsmile wrote:
Upsets based on Rich's rankings...

Chicago
Rockwood Thunder 14 Mizuno def IlliniElite15Cardinal 25-16, 25-15

Anybody have more to add or some color commentary perhaps?

I wasn't there, and was getting my information over the phone, but my daughter's team played Rockwood's 14s.  My wife and daughter both said they were a very tough team, and it was no fluke that they advanced (2-1 in the pool despite being the 4th seed).  Their second round pool is interesting because it's got two 14s teams (along with Kiva 14 Red).  Mintonette and Fusion (two participants on this thread) will have to battle a couple of strong 14s teams today.

Quote    Reply   

EastSidePride

Registered Member

#986 [url]

Feb 16 14 4:58 PM

Congratulations to the four teams who made it to the top gold bracket tomorrow in the SPVB President's Day Tournament. All are deserving, and that MEVBA team who beat SPVB Elite looks great. Our girls had a tough three set loss to Mintonette, who is fantastic. It was a really fun match to watch, and though I would have liked to have seen Fusion South win, Mintonette is full of great players, who are nice kids. The parents are fun and energetic too. Any of the four in the bracket can win, and both of the matches (MEVBA vs. Mintonette and Kiva Red vs. K2) will be great. 

Both of the 14's teams were very good in our pool today as well. They were not a fluke. In terms of our girls, they could not have played much worse than they did on Saturday, losing to Kiva White and being on life support a few times in the next 2 matches. They were resilient and fought, and played much better today. This is only our third open tournament ever, so I am happy the girls are in the top 8.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, and safe travels too.

Quote    Reply   

muwaryer

Registered Member

#987 [url]

Feb 17 14 7:59 AM

Congrats to Janks and msprtsmom for making the top gold bracket at the Presidents' Day Challenge in Chicago.  Great job representing the participants on this thread.  If I'm not mistaken, they're playing each other as I post this; I'd love to be there watching that battle.

I wish our girls would have been there in the final bracket with them, but they didn't get it done.  A misstep first thing yesterday morning against a tough Sports Performance Red team and then a tough three set loss to K2 yesterday afternoon has our girls playing for 9th this morning.  A disappointing result, but hopefully a learning experience.

As to the general level of play at 15 Open, my wife said that there simply were no bad teams at this tournament.  Sure, there are teams that are stronger than others, but she said that all the teams could play -- there were no teams that she saw that were as weak as some of the bottom teams we saw in past years.  It's going to be tougher to coast -- a lot more dangerous teams.

Last Edited By: muwaryer Feb 17 14 8:45 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

ndebt4vball

Registered Member

#988 [url]

Feb 17 14 8:20 AM

Looks like Mintonette just won a close one so congrats to them as they move on! I agree mu, there seems to be so many more talented teams in this age group. Just a theory but I'm guessing that kids are beginning to make decisions on whether to continue with this sport as they enter high school or begin to develop other interests. This leaves an upgraded talent pool which leads to much more competitive volleyball. Going three sets will become more the norm this year!

Quote    Reply   

nt2017

Registered Member

#989 [url]

Feb 17 14 2:52 PM

Mintonette - new #1?

Wow.  It looks like #20 Mintonette kicked some serious bottom up in Chicago.  Did I get this right?  (No, I did not   )
 - beat #4 Sports Performance                  <-- sorry, not the right Sport Performance
 - beat #14 K2 who beat #3 KiVA
 - beat #26 Rockwood Thunder                  <-- sorry, not the right Rockwood Thunder either
 - beat everyone they came up against

Mintonette, AKA the new favorite in every tournament.  Congratulations!

Last Edited By: nt2017 Feb 18 14 7:11 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

EastSidePride

Registered Member

#990 [url]

Feb 17 14 3:00 PM

Congrats to Mintonette for winning the SPVB President's Day tourney today. Being a newbie, I didn't even think to try to meet anyone. It was a great championship match. They fought back against a fine K2 team. #10, #7 and their setter (who is 13??) are great players. The whole team is solid, and defensively they are strong. A really well rounded team. K2 played well enough to win, and are also very, very strong. I didn't get to see Janks team, but I hope to in the future.

Fusion South had to deal with our L1 (who is absolutely great) spraining an ankle in the second set against SPVB Elite. It was 13 13 at the time, and the girls rallied to win without her and force a third set. Up 11 9, they couldn't close. They ran out of steam, losing 22 and 23 to SPVB Red to finish 8th.

Our team has versatile hitters that can hit and block on either side, but our middles are a work in progress. After watching all the fine teams this  weekend, I think we have to improve our blocking and defense. In every close set, the girls couldn't make a key defensive play when needed. They hung with everybody they lost to, but they will hopefully improve in the end-game. Mu and Ndebt are correct-the level of play is very good top to bottom. All the teams I saw are solid.

SPVB Elite did not look like they did in power league. For our girls to almost beat them without our L1 speaks volumes. Their Red team is solid, and Sky High Black also picked up their play from what I saw in power league. 

I hope everyone makes it home safely. I'm about to go outside for shoveling round 2. The weather in Chicago is awful.

Quote    Reply   

ndebt4vball

Registered Member

#991 [url]

Feb 17 14 3:58 PM

Thanks for the update, EastSide! By looking at the scores it seemed it was anything but a cakewalk for Mintonette going 15-13 in semis and finals! Will be looking forward to hearing from msprtsmom after her blood pressure goes down and she is thru smoking her victory cigar! If as of today, Mintonette is an "open bid" leader, what were your opinions of other teams you all felt were capable of earning an Open bid?

Quote    Reply   

AtlVBdad

Registered Member

#992 [url]

Feb 17 14 6:05 PM

The biggest shocker of the weekend may have been JT's Preseason #1 Northern Lights goes down in the Omaha Final to Colo Jrs (25-19 26-24).  What makes this even more of a shocker is they played the day before and NL won handily (25-17- 25-11).

It looks like Stl CYC had little trouble in St Louis until the final where they dispatched Circle City 27-25 23-25 15-11.  New2's girls came in third so he may have some insight here.

Quote    Reply   

Thats me

Registered Member

#993 [url]

Feb 17 14 6:26 PM

In Omaha Juniors got better throughout the weekend, but to be fair Northern Lights played the whole weekend without 2 of their studs!

Quote    Reply   

ohiojoel

Registered Member

#994 [url]

Feb 17 14 6:55 PM

I wasn't there, but was getting the scoring updates from Chicago. Mintonette was down 8 - 2 in the 3rd set of the semis and down 8 - 3 in the 3rd set of the finals, so it was anything but a cakewalk. Michigan Elite (not Mintonette) took down Sports Performance to get into the semis. Still waiting for the crew to get home. The less than 6 hour drive from Columbus in good weather is going on 8 hours now and they are still a couple hours out. Add that to the 10+ drive on the way there due to bad weather Friday.

I'm sure ~~msprtsmom will have the in person up date when she and her group get back!

Last Edited By: ohiojoel Feb 17 14 7:00 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

AtlVBdad

Registered Member

#995 [url]

Feb 17 14 7:09 PM

Thats me wrote:
In Omaha Juniors got better throughout the weekend, but to be fair Northern Lights played the whole weekend without 2 of their studs!
We had this debate last year around here.  A couple of those NL girls apparently are big time AAU Basketball players and the season overlaps.  I believe last year we heard they don't play or practice consistently until basketball season is over and VB heads into qualifier and Nationals season.  The debate was over whether to let players come onto your team towards the end of the season and mess up chemistry, line ups, etc.  I think the consensus was you don't do that...unless they are as good as these players are.  Then you say "welcome back".  Not sure if that is the reason why their studs were not there but I seem to remember this being an issue for them early in the season last year.

Quote    Reply   

muwaryer

Registered Member

#997 [url]

Feb 17 14 8:58 PM

ohiojoel wrote:
Still waiting for the crew to get home. The less than 6 hour drive from Columbus in good weather is going on 8 hours now and they are still a couple hours out.

Ditto for Cleveland. They're about 8.5 hours into it and still probably 1.5-2 hours out. Long, difficult drive in this kind of weather. Safe travels to everyone.

Quote    Reply   

new2kcvball

Registered Member

#998 [url]

Feb 18 14 6:03 AM

We didn't stick around for the championship between CYC and Circle City.  We did get a nice whooping by Circle City in the semi-final.  They are pretty good sized and extremely athletic team.  A good setter ran the offense well and tough serving kept us out of rotation more than not.  Going off the score from the final against CYC, Circle City is more than a legit threat in Open.   

CYC who was a beast all year last year appears ready to do it all over again.  Not that they weren't good enough before they added a 6'3" MH that makes them more dangerous.  It is pick your poison when dealing with CYC because you can't stop them all.  I would expect them to be in the mix at the end of the year again.  These two teams were definitely the top of the class in St. Louis and with both of these teams attending MEQ along with Power, OVA,  A5, K2, Woodland Wave, Mintonette, Tribe, TAV and MEVBA to name a few it is going to be a slug fest.

Cleve, good to see you this weekend and your DD is a definite force at the net.  I bet you are also feel very smart flying to St. Louis after seeing some of the posts on drive times due to the winter weather.

Quote    Reply   

CleveVB

Registered Member

#999 [url]

Feb 18 14 6:54 AM

Thanks for the comments New2 and it was great talking with you too.  Flying was not that great either - we were lucky.  After a 7:15am text saying our 5:30pm flight on Southwest was cancelled, we spent the better part of our morning trying to find a way home.  Fortunately we were able to find 3 seats on a United flight direct to Cleveland that got us home before the snow started flying here, but it sure was stressful trying to watch a match and find a way home.  Some of our families that were leaving later had flights cancelled and some that drove had to pull off and find a place to stay over night. 

As for the tournament, we did get to see CYC up close and personal - I agree that they are even better than last year and the addition of another big hitter makes them very difficult to stop.  Normally there is 1-2 girls you want to try to stop and not let beat you.  For them you just can't...  We felt fortunate to be the only team in the first 2 days to make it to 20 against them.  As for Circle City, we saw them quite a bit sharing courts.  They are a very different team from last year where they relied on one OH for most of their points.  They now seem more athletic and have more hitting options.  I was not surprised to see them make the finals and push CYC for the title.

As for our weekend, we started out great - going 4-1 in our opening pool, with our only loss to CYC.  We then had to ref, sit for about an hour and a half and then ref again before getting to play and we just did not really show up.  After losing a close 3 set match to HPSTL where we did not play well at all, New2's girls took it to us to push us into silver.  We won our first silver match against TESL, but lost another 3 setter to Fusion in the semi's.  I did not realize that Fusion beat Circle City in their second pool, but lost a tie breaker set to PVA to end up in Silver.  They were a tough, scrappy team that we beat in 3 in our opening pool, then lost to in the silver.  I didn't get to see Rockwood Thunder, but wonder what happened to them to be a 3 seed in the tournament and finish in the Bronze bracket?  Overall it was good to get out of our region and play some solid competition.

Last Edited By: CleveVB Feb 18 14 7:14 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

EastSidePride

Registered Member

#1000 [url]

Feb 18 14 8:03 AM

ndebt4vball wrote:
Thanks for the update, EastSide! By looking at the scores it seemed it was anything but a cakewalk for Mintonette going 15-13 in semis and finals! Will be looking forward to hearing from msprtsmom after her blood pressure goes down and she is thru smoking her victory cigar! If as of today, Mintonette is an "open bid" leader, what were your opinions of other teams you all felt were capable of earning an Open bid?

It wasn't a cakewalk for Montonette, but they are TOUGH, especially when they need to be at the ends of games. They were down big in game 3 of the finals, and K2 is no slouch. To come back from that deficit was impressive against such a good team who really didn't give away many points. Mintonette won it on the way they played. It was great volleyball to watch.

Not knowing a whole lot about how many teams get bids from qualifiers, I would have to say that MEVBA, K2 and Mintonette would be in the running no matter where they are playing. Looking at the teams signed up for the Indy qualifier, I think finishing in the top ten would be an achievement.

I found it interesting that not one SPVB team won in the open divisions of this tournament. I think they might have been the top seeds in 15, 16 and 18, but not one of them finished first. 

Last Edited By: EastSidePride Feb 18 14 8:36 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help