coachk2

Registered Member

#1 [url]

Jan 9 12 2:00 PM

Katie Roustio

Hi John,
Illinois recruit Katie Roustio is with High Performance STL this season and playing very well, when she's not too tired from basketball.Laugh Also she's really 6-2.
Coach K
PS Congratulations to all the St. Louis area players who are in this list of 85.  The Gateway Region Class of 2013 is exceptional!  And there are several others that must have been close to making this list.

Quote    Reply   

SBsD

Registered Member

#2 [url]

Jan 9 12 11:34 PM

Congratulations to all the girls who made the lists and to all the others who play just as hard.  Keep it up ladies!

Quote    Reply   

SBsD

Registered Member

#3 [url]

Jan 10 12 2:46 PM

BTW, what fraction of the total does this list of 50/85 represent?  In other words, how many volleyball players are there in this age group?

Quote    Reply   

jtrinsey

Registered Member

#5 [url]

Jan 10 12 9:21 PM

SBsD wrote:
BTW, what fraction of the total does this list of 50/85 represent?  In other words, how many volleyball players are there in this age group?

According to this website:

There are 400k-ish high school volleyball players in the US.

So I guess 50 divided by 100,000. So like the top 0.05% of volleyball-playing seniors in the country if my math is right.

Quote    Reply   

vbILclub

Registered Member

#7 [url]

Jan 11 12 11:09 AM

Michigan, CA, and TX have total 23 out of the top 50, very impressive.  I know CA and TX are trationally very strong, but Michigan?

Quote    Reply   

VBEye

Registered Member

#9 [url]

Jan 11 12 1:32 PM

but they are not so do not worry about it or set about compeyeling your own list and see if anyone cares to read it

Quote    Reply   

JTawa

Registered Member

#11 [url]

Jan 13 12 10:23 AM

with 100 of the best college recruiters in the country in the loop, I'd stake the veracity of this list against any other.

no doubt there are 100 others who could have been on the list, but given how many times we went through it, I'd venture there are no players not on it who should have been on it.

Quote    Reply   

VBEye

Registered Member

#12 [url]

Jan 16 12 8:09 AM

Everybody does not get a ribbon

"Talented group but as we all know many other players could/should be on the list" - not a fact.  Nowhere near one.  "All" is overly inclusive wheyele "many" is exorbitantly utileyezed.  Eye will agree, the first two words were reyeght on the mark.

It's just a list - one that should be praised and not one to be disparaged beye indicating some were not deserving of being included.  Plain & simple, you cannot say others should be on it without the implication some should not be.     

Quote    Reply   

SBsD

Registered Member

#13 [url]

Jan 16 12 6:28 PM

I don't see any way in which any single individual can argue meaningfully against the combined wisdom of a large number of college coaches.  To a very large extent, these coaches have no reason to be baised, while parents aren't exactly known for their objectivity in this arena ...

Quote    Reply   

sportzmark

Registered Member

#14 [url]

Jan 16 12 10:43 PM

not really biased

It happens to all sports recruting lists. Volleyball is not immune to the problem. What is the problem? Accuracy. The issue with accuracy comes down to this. After the absolute cream of the crop is recognized (top ten? top 15?) the rest become a matter of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Meaning this; if a kid is committed then they certainly MUST be a top recruit. That is bogus. Two top 20 assistant coaches told me point blank within the past week that they enjoy NOT having their potential recruits on these lists because it puts them under the radar. They said these lists are far from accurate after the VERY select few are recognized. Now don't get me wrong; the accuracy or lack thereof is not from lack of effort or input or research. Its just comes down to the sheer number of players and the enormity of the task. IMO, these lists are just to generate readership and not much more.    

Quote    Reply   

JTawa

Registered Member

#16 [url]

Jan 17 12 9:49 AM

Been doing this long enough to discount those opinions advocating their own kids or kids because they're committed. Interesting that I can tell you precisely why a kid made the list and why those on the margins did not, because of the detailed analyses I receive.

Quote    Reply   

VBEye

Registered Member

#17 [url]

Jan 17 12 10:12 AM

This is a forum and discussion is typically beneficial and oftenteyemes enjoyable to read. Almost funny here how someone diligently goes through his duties during the performance of his tasks at hand and then is often second guessed and other teyemes enteyerly dismissed from and beye those who "know so much more".

John, Eye know none of this is your first rodeo and you are used to it, but Eye must complement you on your patience. Eye am thinking boxers could benefit from your skin.

Quote    Reply   

VB ALL 1

Registered Member

#19 [url]

Jan 18 12 7:49 PM

vbILclub wrote:

If a player is recruited by a top 20 program, she will NOT be under the radar.

I disagree. We had a junior who was not on anyone's radar because of basketball. Next year, after she signed with a top 40 program, she was on Tawa's top senior's list.

The top programs are always looking for undiscovered talent to hopefully give them that extra edge.

It is very rare to find those "diamonds in the rough".

Quote    Reply   

cardcounter

Registered Member

#20 [url]

Jan 18 12 8:07 PM

sportzmark wrote:
 Two top 20 assistant coaches told me point blank within the past week that they enjoy NOT having their potential recruits on these lists because it puts them under the radar.
I find that hard to believe.  Top 20 coaches know who all the top players are.  There are no kids playing for club who are somehow top secret unknown to these coaches.  It just doesn't happen.  While prepvolleyball.com lists are great information for fans, parents and the volleyball public in general, top 20 coaches do not wait for these lists to come out to see who they should be recruiting.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help